Jordan Haddad of LOBO MAU
1. How long have you lived in Philly?
6 years. Originally from Lansdowne.
2. How do you describe yourself in THREE WORDS?
Silly, gregarious, determined.
3. How would your best friend describe you in THREE WORDS?
Creative, approachable, diligent.
4. How did you start your career?
Began with business development in the corporate arena; wanted to run my own business and feel like what I do matters
5. Who’s your mentor?
My parents, they're Brazilian Jazz musicians and small business owners too.
6. What do you fantasize about?
A world without plastic.
7. What keeps you up at night?
8. How has the pandemic affected you? It's been tough. We had just opened our flagship boutique at 6th & Bainbridge, and had the best month in company history. In many ways, 2020 was supposed to be a breakout year for Lobo Mau. That momentum was precious, and we lost time to devote to planning ahead, sourcing, manufacturing. On the positive side, our website was equipped to handle more traffic as in-person sales became less common (although that seems to be changing now). Nicole and I also had more time to stop and evaluate big picture ideas in sustainability and zero waste.
As a brand that places people and planet before profit, we’re always looking at how we can do better. "Slow fashion" was something Nicole was saying before we even knew it existed. I think to her it was just the logical way to run it. Fast fashion and racism are directly linked. The BLM movement challenges us to ask the same question (how can we do better?), and to make sure this is a pillar of our business for the longterm; not just when everyone’s watching.
10: What's one thing most people would be surprised to know about you? I’m in a rock band! We’re called Flightschool. You may [not] have heard of us. HA!
BONUS Q: What's your favorite spot in Philly? Johnny Brenda’s. And BUS STOP of course.
Jordan we love you and hope our readers have an insight into your uniqueness & amazingness in this series.