Photographer ZACH MISCAVAGE
Zach Miscavage photographer extraordinaire has played a big part in our storytelling with his unique eye and creative talent, so we interviewed him for the series! We have worked with him on multiple photo shoots, both editorial and product photography on location and in studio!
1. How long have you lived in Philly? I've lived half an hour outside Philly in Conshohocken my whole life, but started coming to Philly regularly for photography around 5 years ago.
2. How do you describe yourself in THREE WORDS? Meticulous, Ambitious, Proactive
3. How would your best friend describe you in THREE WORDS? Conceptual, Concise, Motivated
4. How did you start your career? After dropping out of college to pursue freelance graphic design, I went a couple of months with pretty rough results. So I did a couple of impromptu photoshoots with friends that luckily gained enough traction to turn 5 shoots into 20 and so on. Along the way I was just fortunate enough to draw the attention of people in the same scene who gave me opportunities to actually build my professional portfolio and turn it into a career.
5. Who’s your mentor? Brendan Lowry has played such a huge role in my career as a creative, he's helped keep me afloat on multiple occasions and has given advice that I try to live by as much as I can.
6. What do you fantasize about? I fantasize about turning other people's creative fantasies into reality.
7. What keeps you up at night? Missed opportunities / Wrong choices.
8. How has the Pandemic affected you? This pandemic has given me a ton of time to reset mentally. I've been able to step back and look at who I want to be when the world starts spinning again. I lost a lot of foundation that I built over 2019 but I'm excited to start again with this new found trajectory.
9. How has the BLM Movement influenced your life and your work? The BLM movement has made me realize I need to push to be a more active supporter rather than passive. I feel like I owe so much black culture and black individuals so I'm trying a lot harder to use my voice and art to give what I can to support them back.
10: What's one thing most people would be surprised to know about you? In the past 8 years, the farthest place I've traveled is NYC.
BONUS Q: What's your favorite spot in Philly? I have a weird affinity for parking garages, they're a free way to get a good view and a bit of an escape. There's one on 15th and Spruce that I hold near and dear.
Zach, we love you and hope our readers have an insight into your uniqueness & amazingness in this series.