Philly Photographer Darren Burton
Philly Photographer Darren Burton
Philly Local Fashion Photographer Darren Burton has photographed many of our shoe parties!
#BUSSTOPLoves / Darren Burton
Last year, we started a weekly series, where we interviewed our favorite Philadelphians...the photographers, fashion designers, actors, collaborators, models, and creative friends who have inspired us greatly and have worked with us to tell our brand story over the past 13 years (soon to be 14). They've each played a BIG part in our storytelling with their unique work and abilities. Every week, featured & introduced another one of our favorite folks to you. We’ve had such an overwhelming response to this series, that it is continuing in 2021!
Darren Burton is a fashion, wedding, food, concert & event photographer. He's also a Creative Director, music enthusiast, and motivational apparel designer. of his brand Undiscovered_D. Darren took photos of two of our favourite and most important BUS STOP shoe boutique milestones! He photographed our shoe launch parties with friends, customers, fans, and shoe collectors at two of our most memorable BUS STOP X shoe launch parties for the BUS STOP X New Rule Breakers collection & BUS STOP X Wedding collection reveals!
1. How long have you lived in Philly? I’ve lived in Philly my whole life!
2. How do you describe yourself in THREE WORDS? Complex, Caring, and Comedic. Shout out to Alliteration.
3. How would your best friend describe you in THREE WORDS? “HE THE GOAT” haha, nah but seriously. I know he’d say that as his answer. My team shows up and shows out for me. Gotta love it. Even if there’s days I may not feel that way about myself.
4. How did you start your career? My photography career started March 13, 2013. During that time, I worked at a Charter School in North Philadelphia as an Administrative Assistant. It got a little mundane for me over time, so I ended up purchasing a camera to give myself something fun to do on my down time. I would legit go out every day and just snap random pictures trying to get more familiar with the buttons/functions. Fast forward to close to a year later and I ended up getting my first gig!
5. Who’s your mentor? Ok, so here’s the thing. I actually never made this official, but if I could it would be Carneshia Kwashie. Since day one, she’s been there motivating and rooting for me! So yeah, Hey Carneshia, we need to talk...haha
6. What do you fantasize about? Now now now...Jkjk. On a serious note, I fantasize about eating tacos as idiotic and immature as that may sound...And I mean that whole heartedly. I’m a simple guy. Doesn’t take much to make or keep me happy.
7. What keeps you up at night? Uncertainty is what keeps me up at night. Never knowing when you’re going to have another gig. Never knowing if you’re doing it “right”, etc. It’s a lot tougher than most think. We rarely talk about the bad investments, long hours outside of gigs, self doubt, getting told no...the list goes on. You gotta be built for this entrepreneur life and I’ve honestly lost count on the amount of times I’ve wanted to give up, but shout out to people believing in ya boy.
8. How has the pandemic affected you? Outside of losing a bunch of previously booked gigs, not being able to go to concerts, and being paranoid about going outside without a Tyvek suit in a germ proof bubble............ nothing...lol
9. How has the BLM Movement influenced your life and your work? To be completely transparent. It’s opened my eyes and made me more honored to be Black. Despite the negativity. Despite all of the dangers and injustices...it may have broke some of us. It may have even killed some of us...but we are still here. Stronger than ever...and that’s a big flex. I’m here for it.
10: What's one thing most people would be surprised to know about you? I have 13 toes. Wild right? Haha jk. Most people don’t know that before I was a photographer I LOVED drawing. At one point I won an art contest and had my work on display at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
BONUS Q: What's your favorite spot in Philly? FOOD: Friday Saturday Sunday. And if you go, get the WAP B
Darren, we love you and hope our readers have an insight into your uniqueness & amazingness in this series.